With the holiday season in full swing, last minute gift purchases will soon be made by frenzied or forgetful gift givers, meaning gift card purchases will most certainly spike. That means now is a great time to begin strategizing how to turn those guests coming in to use their gift cards into loyal, repeat customers.
As a recent study by the National Law Review found that it costs five times more to acquire a new customer than it does to retain an existing one, let’s look at a few ways to keep those first time gift cards guests coming back!
1. Send reminders. Life gets busy and clients forget to schedule their next appointments. Make it less hectic for them with a quick text or call to let them know it’s nearly time to come back in. The convenience of not having to keep track of their appointment schedule makes for a repeat customer.
2. Offer an unexpected bonus. Many times, what we pay for is what we get. Stand out from your competitors by showcasing your add-ons or products with a special deal just for your new clients. Since 59% of gift card users spend more than the card’s value, this is a great opportunity for a new guest to try (and get hooked on!) an add-on service they may not have tried at full price.
3. Offer packages. If you offer packages, you’ll provide an immediate reason for a customer to keep coming back to you – at least until their package is over – giving you plenty of time to provide great customer service. By the end of their package, they won’t want to go anywhere else!
4. Offer a gift card with extra value. For those not ready to go for a whole package, give them the option to purchase a gift card with a discount towards their next service. For instance, purchase a gift card worth $150 to be used on their next treatment for only $99. To make sure you have a chance to serve them again soon, set a date when the extra amount will expire.
5. Use special packaging. When packaging is personal or nicer than your average plastic bag, customers are more likely to buy again. Most everyone wants to feel special. Whether it’s putting your product in a decorative paper bag with crepe paper before they walk out the door or adding a special customer note from their service provider, that little touch of something extra will help your customers remember you for their next purchase.
6. Remember special occasions. Collect pertinent information on their first visit and send customers birthday cards, anniversary cards, holiday cards ... you name it. Make sure your guests know they are not just a number to you! And as a bonus, seeing a card from you will keep your business top of mind the next time their significant other realizes they need to purchase a gift card.