Today’s gift card is tomorrow’s guest...
On average, Zenoti customers sell 5x more gift cards during November and December than the rest of the year combined. Plus, research shows that 63% of US adults prefer receiving an experience gift and 59% believe giving experience gifts is easier. So, make sure the experience they are buying is with your salon, spa, or medspa by tempting them with irresistible gifting ideas!
Let's start by exploring the benefits.
Benefits of Selling Gift Cards
Gift cards are more than just an alternate form of currency. They are a valuable pillar in your overall revenue and growth strategy because, when used to their full potential, they increase profits and draw new customers to your center.
How? By turning existing customers into brand loyalists.
Gift cards allow your guests to share your services with friends, family, and coworkers who may never have booked with you before. That’s powerful word-of-mouth marketing. Not only do gift cards bring new faces through your door, but they also have the potential to generate higher revenue in a single visit.
65% of customers spend 40% more than the value of the card they received.
How to Entice Customers to Gift Your Business
1. Take Care of the Basics
In order to drive more sales, you need to take the guesswork out of what to give! This means making it as easy as possible for individuals looking for gift cards to find what they want and also inspiring those who are unsure what to buy to choose your brand. Here's some easy, but effective, ways to do that:
- Put it front-and-center online. Gift cards should be easy to purchase on your customer app and Webstore. If customers have to hunt for it, they’ll give up.
- Create a beautiful card rack near the reception area or catch a customer’s eye at the front desk with an attractive display. Let visual appeal do some of the selling for you.
- Use attractive packaging. Remember, these are gifts so offer sleek envelopes or pretty boxes to house the gift card and remove the packaging step from your busy customer’s to-do list.
- Keep display and packaging on brand. Every element of your business should reflect the brand logo and color scheme whenever possible.
- Make the format flexible. Some guests want to share their favorite services with friends and family, while others want to gift a dollar amount. Provide dollar and service/package cards to see more sales.
2. Optimize Front Desk Sales
Encourage gift card purchases at the one place where customers are most likely to have credit cards out and “shopper” hats on: the front desk.
Your welcoming staff can offer upsells and additions for an experience that surpasses the customer’s expectations and adds to your bottom line.
Help your front desk staff get on board with the initiative in the following ways:
- Establish metrics. What gets measured gets done. Share clear sales goals for the program so employees know what to work toward.
- Make it fun. Run a holiday gift card sales contest with incentives for managers and front desk staff.
- Centralize your communications. If your brand includes multiple locations, make sure every employee receives the same consistent program messaging.
- Set your staff up for success with training. Help them gain confidence about executing the new program and ensure they understand exactly how the program works, including what the cards can and can’t be used for.
- Show employees what’s in it for them. How do staff benefit when customers purchase and redeem gift cards? This includes personal benefit (such as a friendly sales competition), or team benefit in higher revenue, more customers, and a stronger business.
3. Get Creative with Promotions
Make a list of fun and innovative ways to increase awareness. Don’t settle for boring, and don’t go with the first idea that comes to mind. Make a list, brainstorm with others and identify what works best for your brand. Here are some ideas to get you started—but let your imagination take it from here.
- Hold a holiday “gifting party.” Invite customers (and their friends) to shrink their holiday shopping list by stocking up on gift certificates for friends and family at your center—and make it a party! Wine them, dine them, and sell those cards. If COVID concerns are high, go virtual and drive sales through your website or a dedicated web form.
- Target repeat buyers. Make a list of customers who purchase gift cards at least once. Create marketing campaigns specifically for this segment and keep them informed about upcoming card deals and promotions.
Tip! Zenoti’s integrated marketing capabilities are designed for segmenting and targeting different buyers.
- Offer BOGOs and deals. Offer one package gift card and another free for a service of lesser value. Or offer discounts on certain services when purchased as a package gift card during a special promotion.
- Team up with a charity. Individuals love an opportunity to give back while also ticking off their to-do list, so choose a day or a week to donate a percentage of all gift card sales to the charity of your choice. Select an organization that your customer base is likely to be aware of and resonate with. This is a great way to support a charity that’s close to your heart while also fulfilling your guest’s gifting needs and driving revenue for your business.
4. Identify New Markets
Think beyond your typical customer profile and consider who else might want to give your services as a gift. If the majority of your guests are women, then it’s time to target the males!
- Get your hospitality game on for the husband who isn’t familiar with your services but wants to treat his wife. When he stops by, offer him a beverage as you would a regular customer, give him a tour of your center, guide him through your service menu, upsell him—maybe even suggest a couple’s service.
- Find offices and organizations that may want to purchase holiday gift cards for their staff. You’ll find plenty of opportunities in your own neighborhood. Consider:
- Physicians’ offices
- Dental offices
- Chamber of commerce
- Realtor offices
- Golf club groups
Start Your Gift Card Programs Today!
There's a whole array of ways to get creative and boost gift card sales. We hope the above ideas inspire you and most importantly don’t forget to track the results so you can see what works best and do even better next year.